Sunday, December 18, 2011

Twelve Promises of Christmas


Unbeknownst to her, my friend Karen inspired this piece.  She is a wonderful writer and a more faithful blogger than I!  I respect and admire her skills both as a writer and as a person who humbly tries to be her best everyday.  I love reading her posts and this week she has mentioned the angel made by little boy hands that went missing from the top of their tree in 2007 in her series called The Twelve Days of Christmas.  At the same time as wondering where that paper angel went I have been grappling with a theme for my blog this week.  Typically I play with a couple of ideas and one feels more “right” than the other and I let my feelings give my fingers the orders.  I had not hit upon the right fit until I read Karen’s Twelve Days series.   Here I offer you my take on a borrowed theme.  Karen – please forgive me and believe in the old saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!


On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me one heart to cherish forever.
On the second day of Christmas my true love offered to me two hands to hold for all time.
On the third day of Christmas my true love cycled victoriously with me up and over three mountain passes.
On the fourth day of Christmas my true love committed with me to four crazy, fun, wonderful fellas.    
On the fifth day of Christmas my true love dreamed with me the first five countries we will travel to together.
On the sixth day of Christmas my true love tuned up six bikes and off we went for a family ride.
On the seventh day of Christmas my true love hung for me seven strings of Christmas lights – not his favorite thing to do ;o)
On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sang to me eight 80s songs (and he danced too!)
On the ninth day of Christmas my true love and I painstakingly wrapped nine presents to ship.
On the tenth day of Christmas my true love held me close and gave me ten hugs to keep me warm.
On the eleventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me eleven smiles just by being himself.
On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me twelve kisses under the mistletoe and the promise of a lifetime of love.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! Thank you for the flattery! I love your writing style and I always enjoy reading your blog, Nicola. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete