Sunday, July 8, 2012

10,000 Miles - Part Two


The day we left London to head North was probably the rainiest day we had in England but we were full of anticipation to see my brother and meet one of my nieces for the first time.   It was First Class all the way to Milton Keynes, a far cry from the train rides I remember as a college student heading home.  Coffee, tea and bacon butties kept arriving for breakfast and we relaxed in style and surprisingly for not much more than second class seating.  I got a giggle from my coffee cup and a big boy grinned from ear to ear as we picked up speed and zipped through the countryside averaging 172 miles/hour.  We went from the sublime to the ridiculous at Milton Keynes when we piled into the taxi that would take us to our hotel and where we would rendezvous with my Big Bruv.  The two cases we had with us would not fit into the boot/trunk/storage area so we shoved one in and put the other on the floor leaving two boys with their knees around their ears.  

The drive wasn’t long and when we pulled up Big Bruv was waiting in the rain with his more hesitant daughter sheltering under the awning.  None of the boys have met their uncle before (long and boring story!) so I was not surprised to hear someone, who probably didn’t realize they had said it out loud, say “That’s your brother???”  I am not sure that I have sufficient words to paint this picture accurately.  My Big Bruv is seven years older than me, grizzly looking, in a wheelchair, and covered in tattoos; the simplest description of me in comparison is that I am not!  We have made different choices and followed different paths in life, my brother and I, but we do share our sense of humor.  We laugh at the same things and tend to have a live and let live approach to most things in life, including each other.  His daughter, my niece is lovely and clearly has a good head on her shoulders and there is no doubt she will be successful in life.  Once the boys had closed their gaping jaws and we got everyone settled and introduced I handed my brother a coin collection that had miraculously survived each of my parents’ moves over  the course of 35 years, being shipped from England to Colorado five years ago and then back again in the luggage for this trip.

Big Bruv told the story of the coin collection to four boys who were mesmerized either by the tale, or his accent, or the tattoos, or maybe all three.  I believe it was 1972 but could be wrong and Leeds United, Dad’s favorite football/soccer team, won the FA Cup.  Petrol/gas stations in England were offering a coin representing each team and a handsome album in which to keep them every time a certain number of gallons of petrol were purchased.  There are about twenty coins in total and the final coin, representing Leeds United, is the biggest and designed to be prominently displayed in the center at the top.  At the time Dad travelled a lot and consequently bought a lot of petrol.  Every Friday for weeks, my 10-year old brother would meet Dad in the drive and ask him to empty his pockets where my Dad had mixed in the collector coins with his change.  Big Bruv would sort through and then proudly fit the new coins into their slot. It took many weeks to earn the coins and finally the most coveted coin of all but that last Friday when he handed it over, my brother pushed it in to the display and cherished the collection for years to come.  It is a little the worse for wear now but all the coins are there and it is back in the hands of its rightful owner.

 
We didn’t let the rain slow us down and went bowling; Big Bruv was eager to let the world know that he beat his Sis and demanded photographic evidence was provided. 





This is what I thought of that!






We ate and we talked and then the boys swam in the hotel pool and we talked and then we ate some more and then the boys took it in turns to see what speeds my brother’s wheelchair could reach in the hotel lobby!  It was a late night but a good day and after sharing breakfast the next morning we said our goodbyes and once again headed North…more to come :o)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment