Monday, January 23, 2012

This Rooster


It is Chinese New Year so I looked up my zodiac sign for some insight into 2012. I was born in the year of the Rooster and found out that the forecast is great and the future is bright!  As far as instructions go, those contained in my outlook are clear to me so while not someone who traditionally reads my horoscope, I cannot imagine that perhaps allowing this to influence my actions can hurt at all.  Rather, if this direction only serves to help me be more aware of my communication and those around me, I would consider this a successful year.

“The main thing for Rooster is a goal and an idea which he should strive to achieve, otherwise his activities would lose their meaning, and he risks just staying in a place in his development. In addition to absolute leadership inclinations, great ambitions in the year 2012 of the Black Water Dragon will require from him the ability to communicate, work in teams, actively and quickly respond to problems and be more attentive to close ones.” [i]

I get excited when I read this.  No promises are made, no guarantees of amazing good fortune, nothing more than good wholesome personal responsibility.  If I want more I must strive, work hard, and expect that not everything will always go exactly as planned.  This is known as personal development and I need it as much, if not more than the next Rooster.  This may not preclude me from whining or feeling a bit sorry for myself from time to time, however I now confer on every reader the right to tell me to snap out of it when I do.

I agree my communication could use some work.  No surprise to anyone that knows me that I am considered a “Controller” according to a recent personality type assessment.  I have always had a tendency to be a wee bit bossy, as well as a master of understatement apparently!  This heavily influences my communication style; I interrupt, I think I know the answer before the question has been asked, and I sometimes give directions without asking others’ opinions (especially if you live with me and are under the age of fourteen).

Sometimes, these communication flaws mitigate my ability to work well on teams, although I genuinely love team work.  The camaraderie, the insights into self and others, and the results are more rewarding than being successful alone, which is rarely possible in my experience anyway.  I need to listen more and talk less and I will be a better team player.

I believe I am good at responding to problems, creatively and tactically.  I can usually tell the difference between a problem that needs more information before action should ensue and when immediate action needs to be taken.  The only exception concerns my boys.  On those thankfully rare occasions when they are hurt, truly hurt and in unbearable pain I cannot function normally and other people have to give me short easy instructions to follow. 

This leads nicely to the final piece of my 2012 outlook; to be more attentive to close ones.  I have realized recently that being busy, getting everyone where they need, and providing is not the same as being attentive.  I want to really listen to our boys and to my husband and my friends with a willingness to learn.  I’m going to dig deep this year and even though the rooster is not known for flying very far, I hope to soar.

2 comments:

  1. "Would you tell me which way I ought to go from here?" asked Alice.
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get," said the Cat.
    "I really don't care where" replied Alice.
    "Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.
    - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865), novelist and poet (1832-1898).

    ReplyDelete