Sunday, August 26, 2012

10,000 Miles - Part Four


Bright and early the next day, we enjoyed a full English breakfast in massive proportions and then hauled ourselves and our luggage to the car for the next leg of our journey.  We were heading to Pateley Bridge where my parents last lived but on the way we planned to visit “something”.  We didn’t know what the “something” was going to be but we knew we would know it when we encountered it.   That amazing man of mine made navigating the motorway look like he’d been doing it all his life and soon we were rolling alongside a big lorry which was so close I could see the scratches on the lug nuts. 

Around lunchtime we rolled into Knaresborough where my parents had lived and owned a business for a few years.  We moved here when I was eighteen during the summer after I left school and before I headed to college in Wales, (we don’t “graduate” senior school/high school in England but we had a heck of a time celebrating regardless!)  I was, I admit it now many years later, quite resentful.  I was forced, yes, forced I tell you, to leave my home town of Oldham, my friends, my social life and, worst of all, my boyfriend, simply because my parents wanted to start their own business!  I was not happy about it and determined that they would know this, every stinking day!  I was pretty consistently in an incredibly bad mood and demonstrated a complete lack of graciousness in acknowledging that the empty nesters might want to fulfill some dreams of their own having dedicated their last eighteen years to my dreams.  Eventually even I was bored of myself and I finally learned what this village had to offer and grew to love the views and its picturesque nature.  Knaresborough is quite small with a High Street (equivalent of Main Street in America), lots of little shops, several pubs of course, a castle and Old Mother Shipton’s Cave.  Perfect…Old Mother Shipton’s Cave was our “something”. 
 
Old Mother Shipton was born to humble roots but was famous because of her predictions for the future.  Royalty visited her to understand the fate of their kingdoms and people came from far and wide to hear her words of wisdom.  For example, if this bridge in Knaresborough falls three times it signifies the end of the world.  Just for the record, it has fallen twice so if it falls again we may all be in trouble.  


Of course the logical answer to this impending doom in England is to name the local pub accordingly, hope for the best and down a pint in case the worst comes to the worst! 



After following the instructions to the letter at the Wishing Well we walked through a beautiful park and were able to see Knaresborough viaduct from a variety of angles.  I have always thought the viaduct and the river do not have a bad side and I enjoyed taking lots of photos.  We visited Knaresborough’s castle and then realized it was time to head to Pateley Bridge to meet up with my wonderful friend Rita and her companion, Frank.


I learned from my Dad that once British gentlemen and ladies reach a certain age, they no longer have girlfriends and boyfriends, they have companions.  About three years after my Mum passed away, with my Dad and I by her side holding her hand and becoming even closer than we already were, my Dad met Rita  She quickly became his companion, probably because she is fun and adventurous and strong in a way that she does not see which makes her humble and unassuming. 


In that cruel and surreal way that life has sometimes, my Dad died two years later with Rita and I by his side.  To say that Rita is a cherished part of my life is an understatement and when she traveled all the way to America to meet the man of my dreams and attend our wedding I was overjoyed.   That was three years ago and we had not seen her since even though we had exchanged many cards, emails and phone calls in the meantime.  Add to all that the fact that we had reservations to stay in my parents’ house which was renovated into a Bed and Breakfast after I sold it and this was going to be the most emotional leg of the trip for me.  Having said that, it was still a surprise to me when I promptly burst into tears when we drove into Pateley Bridge.  I was a weeping fool by the time I was hugging Rita and trying to tell her how happy I was to see her!  I pulled myself together in true English fashion…stiff upper lip and all that…and we headed to Fox House...more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment